How do I treat cystitis?
If you have mild symptoms of cystitis, there are several ways to ease the discomfort:
- Drink half a pint of water straight away and every twenty minutes for three hours.
- Drink cranberry juice, which may help to relieve the symptoms and prevent cystitis coming back. Discover more about how cranberries can help.
- Use a remedy such as Cystopurin, which contains natural cranberry juice extract and potassium citrate to help neutralise the acidity of your urine.
- Take painkillers if you need something to help with the pain of cystitis.
- Put a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel on your back and another, wrapped in a towel, between your legs.
- Avoid tea, coffee, alcohol and acidic fruit juices as they can make the symptoms worse.
- Do not have sex until your cystitis symptoms subside.
If you are still concerned about cystitis, consult your doctor.